Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gotta Have a SYSTEM

Habits will take us a good distance toward – or away from – our goals, but having a system for doing what needs to be done helps immeasurably in moving things forward. 

My mother didn’t particularly like washing dishes and pots and pans.  But she developed a system that worked wonders for her in her small kitchen, and she worked the system toward perfection.  (I know her system by heart because I was part of her system!)

I don’t particularly like making my bed.  But I’ve developed a system for making a bed, and I work the system as close to perfection as possible. 

Our three sons didn’t particularly like doing homework, but each developed his own system for doing homework, and all three graduated high school with Commonwealth Diplomas. 

George Forman didn’t particularly like cleaning floors.  But he developed a system that streamlined the process and made the floors shine like mirrors.  

We talked a few blogs back about “Wearing the Hat”.  As part of my system for painting the house, I put on my painter’s hat, my painter’s shirt and my painter’s pants.  And I’ve developed a neat system for cleaning my paint brushes that is both environmentally friendly and effective in maintaining the functionality of the brushes. 

On Sunday mornings, I make a “killer” omelet with 11 ingredients – more or less – that have to go into it in a particular sequence.  I’ve developed a system for sequencing the ingredients as well as for using the smallest number of pots, pans and accessory utensils involved to minimize the clean-up.  

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was running a biochemistry lab, everything had to be done systematically.  For routine reagent preparation, I made every effort to create “kits” that could be pulled off the shelf and out of the refrigerator or freezer to standardize and streamline procedures.   We simply couldn't function without well-defined systems for doing things.
 
One of the areas of great need for each of us is developing a system for organizing all the “stuff” we’ve got, filing our important papers where we can find them, and getting rid of things we don’t need.  (As a certifiable “Pack Rat”, I have to admit this is one of my greatest personal challenges!) 

What systems have you put in place, not only to get you over the hurdles and speed bumps of life, but to give life dignity with purpose? 

Need exercise?  (Who doesn’t!?!) Develop a system for exercising, and soon it will become a habit.

“Systematize your life and enjoy the immense benefits of navigability it affords!”  Quartermaster

No comments:

Post a Comment