Monday, October 20, 2014

Acts of Conscientious Objection

Despite escalating provocation, I really didn’t want to move the house numbers higher on the house to accommodate a bush that was growing higher than it needed to be.  

Really! 

However … when ignoring the provocation was no longer a viable option, and when the wheels had to start turning, some indication of commitment was needed.  

NOTE: “Transitioning” – i.e., the process of refocusing attention and commitment at critical points of demarcation – is always cumbersome.  But it’s an especially tough proposition when it’s from something you had planned to do to something you had NOT planned to do, and/or from something you WANT to do to something you HAVE to do.   

So I heaved a heavy sigh and went off-line to reorient.
[Reorientation is a core element in successful transitioning.]
Then, I started thinking.  Thinking is good! 
Then I started planning.  Planning is good! 
Then I started measuring.  Measuring is good! 

Then I decided to see how creative the “evil genius” in me could be in an act of defiant aggression toward a detestable end, and – wonder of wonders – tangible things started happening! 

I’m guessing the matter had become an “Act of War” at that point! 

In the course of banging around the premises in such a state, I dredged up an old poster board on which I could draw out a template, took the numbers off the house, lined them up on the template, marked the holes to be drilled, did final measurements and calculations for positioning, taped the template in place, drilled the holes and anchored the numbers in their new location.    

My original “conscientious objection” plan was to stretch the project out for at least three days ... maybe even a week!  But my worst instincts (my “evil genius” twin) got the better of me after the laborious process of “transitioning”, and it was all done in less than two hours. 

Now I’ve got to face transplanting an overgrown hydrangea bush! 

It’s another “Conscientious Objection” matter, but I’m thinking of engaging the “Devil’s Alternative” on this one.  The Devil’s Alternative is where an objectionable act can only be forestalled by engaging in something equally – or even more than equally – objectionable, but with a more than equally beneficial outcome … like getting some form of arduous exercise or doing something more useful or noble, like community service.    

I’m reviewing the situation …
Fagin
Oliver

You might call it “transitioning” …  

There are limits to what one can do ‘within reason’.
Doing the ‘unreasonable’ makes limits disappear
and favorable results possible.”  
Quartermaster

 

No comments:

Post a Comment