Thursday, February 9, 2012

Listing to the Right

[Today's entry is excerpted and adapted from Peter Thompson's TGI Monday missive, 1/23/2012]
 Peter says:

“I keep seeing people who could be storming along the river of golden moments – who are still dragging their feet out of treacle-like gloop - every single day!

And why is this happening?

Earl Nightingale, in his brilliant ‘Lead The Field’ program, introduced me to Ivy Lee, the management consultant who was probably the man who came up with the Do List idea.  Thank you Earl.

Here’s how I use it – please copy this idea.

Each and every ‘working’ day and occasionally for non-working days, too – I create my Do List.

Not a To Do List – it’s a DO LIST!

I number the list down the left hand side to give it some order – I like order.

Then before I do anything else I do the following:

Using ONLY 1 and 2 and 3 – I prioritize the top 3 items on the list – nothing more – just the top 3.

I do item 1.

I reprioritize the list just to make sure item #2 is now the next thing to do.

I do item 2.

I check the list again.

I do item 3.

In between all this action…I’ll be drinking tea. I like tea! Taking a moment for reflection – even ambling down the road for a breath of fresh air.

Focused in a totally relaxed way – knowing for CERTAIN – I’ll get done whatever I can get done
in the time I’ve allocated for action - that day.

This works because…It’s so obvious - a successful life is made of successful years.
 Successful years are made of successful weeks.
 Successful weeks are made of successful days
 And…Successful days are created by adhering to a simple plan of actions towards stated goals.

Simple – oh so simple.  No rush. No stress. No panic!  No trying to do tomorrow’s work today.

Simply being yourself – I like being myself and doing the very best I can on every task I’ve
considered and decided is worthy of being on my list.

If we have a purpose
If we have goals
If we have a Do List – and stick with it … [I was going to say ‘everything’ but I’ll be a tad cautious and say] ‘nigh on anything’ can be achieved.

Do you know what you want?
Do you know what you need?
Do you have a daily Do List?
Will you just go 1 and 2 and 3 (slowly but surely)?”

Little things done on a daily basis, minute-to-minute, by habit and with total intentionality, make large changes possible.”      Zig Ziglar

No comments:

Post a Comment