Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Legitimacy

To be “legitimate”, is to be “real, genuine, conforming to recognized principles and accepted standards.”  (Webster)  It is to “walk the walk”. 

This journal entry was inspired by the mental toss of a coin concerning whether and/or when to do the recommended daily exercise routine.  Not surprisingly, “Tomorrow” and “Later” got the most votes!  But shame and due diligence eventually overruled and I was on the elliptical without further “discussion”. 

In truth, I’ve found the major benefit of exercise is not necessarily to “stay in shape” – a nonetheless tremendous secondary benefit – but to clear one’s brain.  However, it occurred to me –while exercising – that an equally important secondary benefit is to provide “legitimacy”.  The question lurking in the background was: How can I rightfully negotiate my way through the wanderings of the day if I haven’t done due diligence in getting my exercise … or if I haven’t gotten proper nutrition … or if I haven’t done dozens of other things I could and should do to make my way in the world most passable – i.e., if I haven’t BEEN the person I “ought” to be doing the things I “ought” to do? 

NOT doing the “ought” leaves a cloud of substantially truncated possibilities hanging over my head and eventually out of reach. 

Importantly, exercise – or any other solitary “oughta do” – will not, by itself, carry the full load of “legitimacy” and does not, in any case, provide “license” for negligence in other areas.  However, “oughta dos” strongly reinforce a pattern of due diligence that have a positive, affirmative impact on everything that follows.  

Other elements of legitimacy include shaving and showering and making myself “presentable” to the world in which I function daily.  “Legitimacy” is not self-esteem or entitlement.  Legitimacy doesn’t qualify me for a trophy and nobody “owes” me anything.  It simply gets me in the gate and onto the playing field – kind of like buying a ticket and paying one’s dues.  But, WOW!  What a starting point that is!! 

Now we can legitimately go out and EARN our keep, bolster our self-esteem and put some negotiable credits on the board.  Just DO IT!

If I can’t give a decent account of myself on my own behalf, how can others consider me a worthy investment on any other’s behalf?”    Lewis Kelly
Do what you’re supposed to do and life will eventually turn out the way it’s supposed to be.Old Farmhouse Calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment