Monday, May 12, 2014

If I Only Had a Brain


Remember the scarecrow in the “Wizard of Oz”?  Here’s his theme song:  

"If I Only Had A Brain"
“I could wile away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain
And my head I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain

I'd unravel every riddle
For any individ'le
In trouble or in pain

With the thoughts I'd be thinkin'
I could be another Lincoln
If I only had a brain …”

Robbie Williams

[Hear it sung by Four Voices]

So here’s the question:
What would YOU do … if you only had a brain?

Points to Ponder

The entire human DNA code is contained in 46 chromosomes - 2 less than the common potato ... which explains why potatoes are smarter than some people I've met.”
(Tripped over on the internet)

 I possess a device in my pocket that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.”    
Reflection from Reader’s Digest’s Life in These United States, May 2014, p. 16,
from reddit.com.

Light travels faster than sound. 
That’s why some people appear to be bright until they speak.”
(Author Unknown)

 I don't mind that you think slowly
but I do mind that you are publishing faster than you think.”
Wolfgang Pauli

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Perhaps more to the point is the fact that, with even half a brain – never mind how slowly we may think, we can do some amazing things.  We can …  

… wile away the hours conferrin’ with the flowers
… consult with the rain
… hatch a new thought or two
… unravel every riddle
… be another Lincoln
… ______________ (you fill in the blank)   

To the great frustration of some, brains don’t have “OFF” buttons.  They’re always “ON”, even when we sleep.  But brains have a tendency to “busy” themselves with trivia … with diversions … with daydreaming … with wishing … with the “easy” … with immediate gratification … with pictures rather than words … with “Beating the System” … with unfounded fears and angst … with unrealistic expectations … with erroneous assumptions … with anything and everything EXCEPT useful engagement.  

In this respect, allowing the brain to go off on its own is no better – or maybe even worse – than not having one … it can get you into a whole lot of trouble!   

Conversely, overload the brain and it will go off-track … it can only take so much at one time.  That’s the great thing about TIME … time protects the brain by keeping everything from happening at once … if we will only do the things we CAN do at once to keep them from piling up.   

So what’s going on in your brain and what grand and glorious things will YOU do with the power vested therein?    

Here’s a Suggestion:

Clear the mental slate for a few moments and become like a scarecrow without hang-ups about what you can and can’t do, try some “blue sky visioning”, project yourself into a new and higher dimension of engagement and functionality, and then give your brain explicit instructions to get with the program!  Quartermaster

Oh, the places you’ll go  (Dr. Seuss)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment