Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Out Of Code

In a recent grant-writing process, I encountered numerous points where I simply had no template for specifically what I was proposing/requesting, and/or for the way I wanted it to come out “just so”.  I felt like a computer must feel when it runs out of code!  But I had no choice of throwing up a flag, like “error” or “can’t compute” or “this program has encountered a problem and must shut down.”  I had to soldier on and create my own code.

In this case, I had to go off in a corner, sit quietly, focus and ask – and then answer: What am I really asking for/trying to say and how effectively am I tapping into resonating connectors for the target audience? 

However, I’ve found this was only a microcosm of the greater reality of my life: I’m actually “out of code” a lot and have to either “make it up” or carve my way out as I go. 

Fortunately, a lot of the code I’ve packed on board over the past 50+ years easily translates across similar circumstances.  That’s the good news!  The not-so-good news is that I probably have accumulated a lot of “nonsense” code as well as some apportionment of downright “bad” code. 

We should make a standard practice of monitoring our “code”, editing it, and expanding it wherever and however possible.  And we should not be timid about creating new code to get through uncharted waters.  That’s called experimentation, survival, growth, development and – eventually – progress!    

So here’s our challenge: Pile up as much sensible, sustainable and translatable “code” as possible as fast as possible.  Survival depends on it; quality of life is markedly enhanced by it; creation of new code is much less onerous when needed; and the distance and heights one can travel are so much greater.             Quartermaster

 

No comments:

Post a Comment